SMTP Attacks

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue Oct 31 17:09:06 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-10-31 at 15:35 +0700, Budi Febrianto wrote:
> Rick Stevens wrote:
> >
> > Nah, I don't publicly blacklist them...I just don't let them into our
> > network...and there are a few specific holes in that list for legitimate
> > servers that I know about.
> >
> > Spamhaus, however, are Nazis and should be sued.
> >

> Why you say Spamhaus are Nazis? I use they services for many months now.
> Is there something that I don't know?

Yes.  God help you if you ever get on their list.  It's damned near
impossible to get off--even if you were incorrectly listed or can prove
whatever was wrong has been fixed.

They provide NO mechanism to unlist yourself or submit your site for a
check (or didn't last time I checked), and if you were unfairly listed,
they offer no apologies if they do take you off.

Their blocks can be draconian...I've seen them list an entire /19
network because ONE server had been compromised.

I applaud their efforts, but the way they do things is really, really
bush league.  If you're going to label someone as a spammer based on
someone else's say-so, you'd better provide ways to get off the list if
you've been put on it.  They don't, and that's why I consider them
Nazis.

...ir attitude is "F*ck you...you're a spammer and will
always be a spammer

> Best Regards

-        "And on the seventh day, He exited from append mode."       -