version `GCC_4.2.0' not found - I don't get it!

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed Sep 13 16:35:10 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-09-13 at 08:14 -0700, dave first wrote:
> Folks, this one has me stumped, and I could use your help figuring
> this out.
>
> I was running kernel and libs at,
>
> Linux 2.6.9-34.0.2.EL
>

> And after updating the kernel and libs, and a reboot for good measure,
> we're at,
>
> Linux 2.6.9-42.0.2.EL

Which distro are you running?  Looks like RHEL 4.x, but it'd be nice
to confirm.

> But, now I've got some some conflicts.  I cannot run httpd, or a
> konsole window, much less gnome or kde without incurring an error
> similar to this (the libs change, depending on what's being called):
>
>     Cannot load /etc/httpd/modules/libphp4.so into
> server: /usr/lib/nsr/libgcc_s.so.1:
>     version `GCC_4.2.0' not found (required by /usr/lib/libstdc
> ++.so.6)
>

> Note the path to the lib:   /usr/lib/nsr  These libraries belong to
> EMC/Legato Networker backup client application software.  Note the
> libs at the end of the list which are related to the old GLIB or GCC.
> I don't understand why these are somehow in the system lib path, or
> --- what?
>
> # rpm -qf /usr/lib/nsr/libgcc_s.so.1
> lgtoclnt-7.3-1
>
> # rpm -qR lgtoclnt-7.3-1
> rpmlib(PayloadFilesHavePrefix) <= 4.0-1
> rpmlib(CompressedFileNames) <= 3.0.4-1
> ld-linux.so.2
> libICE.so.6
> libSM.so.6
> libX11.so.6
> libXext.so.6
> libXmu.so.6
> libXt.so.6
> libc.so.6
> libdl.so.2
> libgcc_s.so.1
> libncurses.so.5
> libpthread.so.0
> libqt-mt.so.3
> librt.so.1
> libstdc++.so.5
> libGL.so.1
> libXi.so.6
> libXrender.so.1
> libm.so.6
> /bin/ksh
> /bin/sh
> libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.0)
> libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.1)
> libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.1.2)
> libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.1.3)
> libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.2)
> libdl.so.2(GLIBC_2.0)
> libdl.so.2(GLIBC_2.1)
> libgcc_s.so.1(GCC_3.0)
> libgcc_s.so.1(GCC_3.3)
> libgcc_s.so.1(GLIBC_2.0)
> libm.so.6(GLIBC_2.0)
> libm.so.6(GLIBC_2.1)
> libm.so.6(GLIBC_2.2)
> libpthread.so.0(GLIBC_2.0)
> libpthread.so.0(GLIBC_2.1)
> libpthread.so.0(GLIBC_2.2)
>
> Okay, so I cannot run a lot of things, and some things I can (xterm is
> okay).  No  LD_LIBRARY_PATH is set by default, but even if I set one,
> and exclude /usr/nsr/lib, it doesn't matter.  Same problem.

That's quite weird.  Not even the latest FC5 has a GCC 4.2.0.  It's at
4.1.1.

> Okay, I admit it.  I'm stumped.  Ideas anyone????

Did you do a full update?  Why just the kernel and libraries?  You
really should do a full update.

The libraries are actually controlled by the /etc/ld.so.conf file,
not LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  You might try editing that file and commenting
out the /usr/nsr/lib path, then running "ldconfig -v" and verifying
that it isn't included anymore.

-   I haven't lost my mind.  It's backed up on tape somewhere, but   -
-                       probably not recoverable.                    -