Monitoring true memory utilization

karlp at ourldsfamily.com karlp at ourldsfamily.com
Tue Sep 19 16:26:01 UTC 2006

On Tue, September 19, 2006 10:18 am, Waldher, Travis R wrote:
> In Redhat how do I do this?
>

> The top command doesn't accurately show how much memory is really being
> used since redhat doesn't immediately release it after a process is done
> with it.  For example, top states I am using 9.6GB of RAM, but the
> processes that got it ramped that far up are gone have been reduced to
> three, and should be using roughly 4.5GB of RAM.

I use:

cat  /proc/meminfo

to get better, or more specific information.

To that end, I installed torsmo and use it on my desktop(s) so I can't have to
worry about it much.

HTH,

Karl

karl
     _/  _/      _/      _/_/_/       ____________   __o
    _/ _/       _/      _/    _/     ____________  _-\<._
   _/_/        _/      _/_/_/                     (_)/ (_)
  _/ _/       _/      _/           ......................
 _/   _/ arl _/_/_/  _/ earson    KarlP at ourldsfamily.com
---
Senior Consulting Sys/DB Analyst
http://consulting.ourldsfamily.com
---
 My Thoughts on Terrorism In America right after 9/11/2001:
 http://www.ourldsfamily.com/wtc.shtml
---
 The world is a dangerous place to live... not because of
 the people who are evil, but because of the people who
 don't do anything about it.
 - Albert Einstein
---