FC6 freezing

Bob Kinney bc98kinney at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 12 00:53:42 UTC 2007

If you haven't already, run memtest86 from the FC boot CD, and let it
go overnight, or longer.  Sometimes electronic problems are intermittent.
Memtest is THE tool to use, and often picks up on errors other memory
testers miss.  Another advantage (over standalone module testers) is that
it tests the entire system between the processor and the memory module, and
thus will report on errors due to bad solder joints or other connections,
failing chipset, etc.  Of course that doesn't help isolate the problem.

You also may have a disk drive problem.  Although my own drive problem
generated a kernel panic and not just a freeze, it is wise (and cheap) to rule
this out, too.

An excellent free tool for this is called Drive Fitness Test (DFT) from
IBM and Hitachi.  I haven't seen a drive it wouldn't test, and works on
PATA, SATA, and SCSI.  The test is data-safe.  You can get it here:
http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm
I like to run the exerciser (Alt-e at the main screen) and run at least
2 iterations.  The exerciser is the same as the advanced test, but also
performs an extensive seek test that pounds the drive pretty hard.

Good luck ...

--bc