(UPDATE) No Video after Kernel Upgrade

Rick Stevens rstevens at internap.com
Thu Dec 13 01:39:29 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-12-12 at 18:05 -0500, mylar wrote:
> Hello... Here's an update...
>
> It seems to be working now. After I installed the new kernel via yum I
> rebooted into the new kernel and I had the video display problem. So I
> shut down and rebooted the old kernel and everything was OK. After a few
> hours I shut down and left. When I got back a few hours later I booted
> the machine and decided to give another shot at trying to boot the new
> kernel. Viola' it worked !! I have no idea why. I made no configuration
> changes or anything else, But it seems to be working fine. I am using
> the new kernel right now and video, sound and everything else seems to
> be just fine. Quite strange as to why it did not work before.

The video card may have misread the DRI data from the monitor and held
it.  The previous reboot didn't clear that data but the power cycle did.

Sometimes a cold boot does magic that a warm boot doesn't.  Sometimes
it's just...magic!  :-)

> On Wed, 2007-12-12 at 14:53 -0500, mylar wrote:
> > Hello
> >
> > I have been running Fedora 7 for several months under the XEN kernel...
> > kernel-xen-2.6.18  for several months with relatively good results. I
> > recently upgraded the kernel to kernel-xen-2.6.20 using yum. However,
> > upon trying to boot the machine into kernel-xen-2.6.20 I get an error
> > message from my monitor saying "cannot display this graphics mode".
> >
> > I don't get it. I am running a Dell Dimension 4600 machine with an
> > integrated  82865G graphics display card and a Dell E172FP Flat Panel
> > LCD monitor. I am using the "i810" driver. I am running at a resolution
> > of 1280 x 1024. It was working fine at these settings under the older
> > 2.6.18 kernel. Matter of fact if I boot into the 2.6.18 kernel my
> > display works fine. But if I try and boot into 2.6.20 I get bupkis along
> > with my display telling me "I cannot display this graphics mode".
> >
> > Any ideas as to why I might be having this problem ? Is there something
> > else I need to update along with the kernel. Had I not kept the old
> > kernel on the system the machine would be unusable right now. Any help
> > would be appreciated... Thanks.
> >
> > mylar

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens at internap.com -
- CDN Systems, Internap, Inc.                http://www.internap.com -
-        Hard work has a future payoff. Laziness pays off now.       -