Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS 4 Update 1 (AMD64/Intel EM64T)

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon Feb 5 17:06:16 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-02-05 at 00:13 +0300, Mansour Mohammed wrote:
> Dear All,
>

> How to install RHEL4 update1 on SAS drive?
>

> We have DELL PE1955 plade servers, which has SAS HD.
> We need to install Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS 4 Update 1 (AMD64/Intel
> EM64T) which is NOT supported by DELL
> OpenManage Server Assistant tool; that contains SAS driver.
> So I have to go with RedHat CDs. I downloaded the SAS driver and I
> have it
> over a CD.
>
> I search in RHN knowledgebase but nothing.
>
> -Is there any kernel parameter that i can pass while installation?
> I tried while installation.
> 1-[# Linux dd updates],
> 2- I got prompt for any existing Disk Driver.
> 3- I force it to go for the CDROM.
> 4- prompt "no driver found, insert disk driver"

Driver disk images have a very specific format for the installer to use
them.  At a minimum, the disk must have the following files:

	modinfo
	modules.cgz
	modules.dep
	pcitable
	rhdd-6.1

If your driver disk (floppy, CD, whatever) is NOT set up that way, you
can't use it with the installer.  If, however, it IS set up like that,
then use either the "expert" or "dd" options to the the boot command to
make the installer request the driver disk:

	boot: linux dd

When prompted, pop out the Red Hat CD, put in your driver CD and press
"ENTER".

You didn't say which SAS board you have, so I can't advise you any
further.  However, my scan of the Adaptec site shows that the downloads
associated with the cards contain both RPM and driver disk images.

-      "Microsoft is a cross between The Borg and the Ferengi.       -
-  Unfortunately they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to  -
-               do their programming."  -- Simon Slavin              -