Cleaning up /var/lib/rpm

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri Feb 16 22:25:33 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-02-16 at 13:42 -0800, John Reynolds wrote:
> Hello, collective mind.
>
> I have several Redhat systems where /var/lib/rpm is on the order of 150MB,
> I've been reading the docs to figure out how to clean up cruft in there,
> and the best I can see is the -F option, which only works if you're
> updating something.  Is there a simple way to identify and remove RPM
> cruft and reduce that disk use?

Not really.  Most of what's in /var/lib/rpm are flat files and you
really don't want to pare them down or you can't rebuild databases nor
know what is and isn't installed.

> If there's something on the rhil.net I should know about, I can't access
> the site at the moment, but I will try later.

I'm the owner of rhil.net and unfortunately the server died a rather
ugly death a couple of months ago (somehow, the smoke got let out of
a couple of chips on the mobo...and if you let out the smoke, they don't
work anymore).

I'll be up there on Tuesday to replace the hardware (it was on an
ancient IBM x330, it'll be on a Dell 1950 when I'm done).

-    "Hello. My PID is Inigo Montoya.  You `kill -9'-ed my parent    -
-                     process.  Prepare to vi."                      -