grub boot loader got deleted.

Bob McClure Jr bob at bobcatos.com
Thu Feb 22 13:54:05 UTC 2007

On Thu, Feb 22, 2007 at 12:40:54PM +0530, manish soin wrote:
> I had 2 operating systems on my computer
> microsoft xp pro. sp2 and fedora linux (latest version).
> I bought a new hard disk and in order to make basic partions on hard disk.
> I selecetd my dvd rom as first boot device and inserted microsoft CD in drive.
> after that the GRUB boot loader got deleted.
> -->and each time I restart my comp. XP automatically boots up.
> I want to resore GRUB boot loader so that I linux operating system can boot and it should show xp there as well so that I have the option to choose between XP and linux.
>
> Is  there any way by which I can do that.

Yep.  Boot to rescue mode with your FC* Disk 1.  (At the boot: prompt,
put "linux rescue".)  Let it mount your Linux installation when it
finds it.  Then

  chroot /mnt/sysimage
  grub-install /dev/hda # or whatever your boot drive is
  exit
  exit

Yeah, exit twice - once from the chroot shell and once from rescue.
Pop out the cd and the normal grub stuff should come up when it
reboots.

Cheers,
bob at bobcatos.com             http://www.bobcatos.com
To do what is right and just is more acceptable to the LORD than
sacrifice.  Proverbs 21:3 (NIV)