How to host a forum on Fedora

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri Feb 23 19:46:08 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-02-23 at 12:17 -0700, karlp at ourldsfamily.com wrote:
> On Thu, February 22, 2007 5:07 pm, Rick Stevens wrote:
> > On Thu, 2007-02-22 at 13:45 -0800, Bret Stern wrote:
> >> I would like to use one of my servers to host
> >> a forum on machinery.
> >>
> >> Is there a package with Fedora which allows this?
> >
> > Depends on which type of forum you want:
> >
> > Bulletin boards: phpbb is one of the best (requires Apache and PHP)
>
> What does fedoraforum.org use? If it's phpbb, I may give it a look, other than
> figuring out how to start a new thread takes too much effort...
>

> > Mailing list: majordomo (old school) and listman, of course (that which
> > runs THIS list).
>
> I use majordomo and it's pretty nice, but mailman is something that comes on
> FC/RH servers. What's listman? Is it a replacement for mailman of which I'm
> blissfully unaware?

listman is like mailman, but it's a bit lighter.  It's not as capable
as mailman.  Stick with mailman.

> > Wikis: Probably "wikiserver" is the one to use.  It's stand alone
> > (includes its own web server built-in).  Here's a link:
> >
> >         http://sourceforge.net/projects/wikiserver/
>
> How annoying is it to have this running with Apache, or is it even possible?

You can have it running with Apache, but not on the same port.  I think
FedoraForum and Xen use MoinMoin (http://moinmoin.wikiwikiweb.de/),
for Wiki.  MoinMoin is Python based and requires Apache to run.  That
might be a better bet for you.

> You can tell I've done no thinking on this and even less research...

You're in the "discovery" mode now!

> Karl

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer          rstevens at vitalstream.com -
-     There are only 10 kinds of people in the world -- those who    -
-                 understand binary and those who don't              -