(no subject)

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon Feb 26 18:34:10 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-02-26 at 13:15 +0530, manish soin wrote:
> I had 2 operating systems on my computer
> > > microsoft xp pro. sp2 and fedora linux (latest version).
> > > I bought a new hard disk and in order to make basic partions on
> hard disk.
> > > I selecetd my dvd rom as first boot device and inserted microsoft
> CD in drive.
> > > after that the GRUB boot loader got deleted.
> > > -->and each time I restart my comp. XP automatically boots up.
> > > I want to resore GRUB boot loader so that I linux operating system
> can boot and it should show xp there as well so that I have the option
> to choose between XP and linux.
> > >
> > > Is  there any way by which I can do that.
> >
> > Yep.  Boot to rescue mode with your FC* Disk 1.  (At the boot:
> prompt,
> > put "linux rescue".)  Let it mount your Linux installation when it
> > finds it.  Then
> >
> >   chroot /mnt/sysimage
> >   grub-install /dev/hda # or whatever your boot drive is
> >   exit
> >   exit
> >
> > Yeah, exit twice - once from the chroot shell and once from rescue.
> > Pop out the cd and the normal grub stuff should come up when it
> > reboots.
>
> It should also be pointed out that the reason grub disappears is that
> Microsoft thinks they own every computer they install on.  They wipe
> out any other boot loaders when they install.  Linux is nicer in that
> while they will wipe out Windows' loader if you ask it to, it will add
> Windows to its boot menu.
>
> So, the rule always is, install Windows first but reserve enough space
> on the hard drive for Linux.  Then install Linux.
> after using linux rescue
> it asks for choose a language
> and then it asks for type of keyboard do you have.
> and after that it asks for whatever called network (something).

It asks "Do you want to start the network interfaces?"  Answer "no"

> then there are 3 options
> 1)continue
> 2)read only
> 3)skip
> when I click on continue
> It does not find linux installation on computer however there is linux
> installation.

Did you do a Windows install?  Are you sure you didn't let Windows use
the entire disk?  It sure sounds like you did.

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer          rstevens at vitalstream.com -
-               The Theory of Rapitivity: E=MC Hammer                -
-                                  -- Glenn Marcus (via TopFive.com) -