Reinstall or reconfigure RHLE on Dell Server

listvj listvj at summerhost.net
Thu Jan 4 17:45:06 UTC 2007

I am configuring a Dell server for a client of mine.  It will ultimately
be an internet web / mail server.  I haven't used Linux for a few years,
but I have been working with BSD OSes.

Red Hat Linux came pre-installed on this machine, and I'm wondering if I
should re-install or just re-configure the current configuration.  It
seems as though the default install was a Workstation install - Gnome
desktop is starting automatically.

Is there any significant difference in the different kinds of installs?
  I gather that the Server install would partition the disk differently,
but LVM, which is installed, seems to provide the same functionality
with more flexibility, so I wouldn't re-install just to repartition.

Also, I imagine I can disable starting the GUI at boot time, so I guess
my question is, is there any benefit (other than an educational one) to
me re-installing RHLE?

Thanks.