Help with restoring IDE image to SATA drive

David Mackintosh David.Mackintosh at xdroop.com
Fri Jan 5 00:50:45 UTC 2007

On Thu, Jan 04, 2007 at 01:33:06PM -0500, FS wrote:

Change your root= line so it reflects the correct device.

In my opinion this is a weakness of the e2label that RedHat
has been fond of -- it isn't really clear what device is what
when you are asking the system to boot off of it.

So in your grub.conf, you'll need

>        kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.22-1.2199.nptl ro root=/dev/sda1 rhgb

...assuming root is on sda1.

Next you'll need to ensure that the /etc/fstab on the sata drive is
correct so that it will find / and swap accordingly; I'll bet that
those currently include the e2labels set at install time; change the
LABEL=/ to /dev/sda1 and LABEL=SWAP to /dev/sda2 (as appropriate).
Plus repeat for any other partitions you have.

--
 /\oo/\
/ /()\ \ David Mackintosh |