where to find logs for getting info who login

jason zeng jason388600 at yahoo.ca
Mon Jan 22 04:29:01 UTC 2007

Hi, Cameron,

Thanks for your prompt response. I still has problem, please help.

I go to /usr/log, only found wtmp.1, and I could not use vi to see it, what should I need to do next? if the files deleted by someone who made mistake, can I get it back ?

Thanks.

Regards,
Jason Zeng

Cameron Simpson <cs at zip.com.au> wrote: On 21Jan2007 18:32, jason zeng  wrote:
| I am not familiar with  RedHat Linux logs, and I am encountering a problem
| that our important files disappeared. So I want to know WHO made this?  How
| can I get info about who login and when, Could I find a way to recover the
| files? it is possible?

The wtmp file is the traditional place. The "last" command lists recent
logins for you.
--
Cameron Simpson  DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/