question about package installation

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue Jan 30 17:54:44 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-01-30 at 15:11 +0800, ZHU Lin wrote:
> Do you mean to run "Add/Remove Software" first, and follow its instruction to insert the proper CD?

Yes.  Leave the CDs out of the drive.  If you put in a CD, then the
system will automount it and you'll have to unmount it (either via the
GUI or via command line) before you can use the drive to install
software.

Once the drive is empty, then you can run "Add/Remove Software" (GUI) or
"system-config-packages" (command line).  It'll tell you which CDs to
put in the drive and when.

> >Don't run the installer from the CD.  As the root user, simply run one
> >of these two commands on the command line:
>
>                # redhat-config-packages   (for RHEL 3 and earlier)
>                # system-config-packages   (for RHEL4 and later)
>
> >This fires up the GUI package installer from the hard disk and you can
> >start to install the items you need.  In Gnome, simply click on the Red
> >Hat icon on your desktop's menu bar, then drop all the way to the bottom
> >where it says "Add/Remove Software" and click.  It'll ask you to enter
> >the root password and then start the installer.
>
> >Not a problem.  I would suggest in the future that you at least install
> >the C development system if you have the space.  It comes in REALLY
> >handy, as you're now finding out!  8-)

> >- Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer     rstevens vitalstream com -
> >- VitalStream, Inc.                       http://www.vitalstream.com -
> >-  Memory is the second thing to go, but I can't remember the first! -
>

> Linda

-    If Windows isn't a virus, then it sure as hell is a carrier!    -