Using meminfo information

Waldher, Travis R Travis.R.Waldher at boeing.com
Tue Jul 24 17:10:36 UTC 2007

<snip>

> I give. If meminfo can tell us active memory, why can't sar.

<snip>

> Okay, more than was asked.
>
> Karl

I'm wondering the same thing myself.  I could call Redhat but that
company is almost as bad as MS when it comes to feature requests.

I could write a script that collects it at the same frequency as sar,
but we have users that get upset when a process is running on a machine
since it could "slow them down".  Office politics mostly.  I liked sar
because that was already running in the background so they had nothing
to complain about.  What irks me - sar is collecting the information
that it does have out of the meminfo file, if not directly, indirectly.
:(