Rebbot with FC6 Intel Celeron(R)

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon Mar 5 21:59:57 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-03-05 at 16:47 -0300, Rodrigo Faria Tavares wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The process ( shutdown ) run normally, but the system isn't restarted.
>
> The last lines are :
>
> md : Stopping all md devices
> Restarting System
> .
>
> Under the '.'   one cursor is  blinking all time, and system isn't restarted
>
> it´s very strange !
>  with FC5 have the same trouble.

This sounds like a problem with ACPI (advanced computer power interface)
or APM (advanced power management).  It's amazing how badly people have
implemented those standards in the BIOS.

If you power the machine off and then back on, does it boot?  If so, you
definitely have a power management issue.  The first step is to try to
update the BIOS on your motherboard and see if that cures it.  If not,
you may have to disable APM or ACPI at the boot command.  Append
"noacpi" or "noapm" to to the end of the "kernel" line in the
/boot/grub/grub.conf file (try one and if that doesn't work, try the
other one).  Examples:

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.19-1.2911.fc6 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet noacpi
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.19-1.2911.fc6 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet noapm

You may simply have to live with the fact that reboots won't work on
your machine due to screwy power management firmware.

> best regards,
>
> Rodrigo Faria

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer          rstevens at vitalstream.com -
-                He who laughs last thinks slowest.                  -