FedoraForum USB thread

karlp at ourldsfamily.com karlp at ourldsfamily.com
Fri Mar 9 05:07:00 UTC 2007

On Tue, March 6, 2007 5:09 pm, Rick Stevens wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-03-06 at 16:34 -0700, karlp at ourldsfamily.com wrote:
>> I posted the following thread at fedoraforum.org and have seen no response.
>> Do
>> any of you folks know where to point me?
>>
>> USB Fails on FC6 after update of?
>>
>> There are some old threads on this, but they give an fdi solution that
>> doesn't
>> apply here, so I'm lost. Here's the deal:
>>
>> To start, on my system currently I have no USB devices installed other than
>> USB mouse. I have SATA drives at sda and sdb, so the first USB device
>> plugged
>> in comes up as sdc[1]. This only affects my work desktop. My laptop and home
>> desktop both run FC6 with regular updates and they work fine.
>>
>> The automount never happens because the USB device isn't accepted when
>> inserted. This started happening after I updated my PC from FC6 default
>> respin
>> from FedoraUnity.org 20070111. In other words, it worked fine after
>> upgradeing
>> from FC5 to FC6, but after a few days, quit working. Because of this, I
>> can't
>> sync my handheld, or use it as a memory stick, or use any memory
>> sticks/flash
>> drives, or an external USB hard disk or floppy drive.
>>
>> Here's what I get in /var/log/messages when I plug in any USB device, other
>> than my mouse, which works fine. Hmmm.. It's a 'low speed device':
>>
>> Feb 27 15:43:19 lehi kernel: usb 4-6: new high speed USB device using
>> ehci_hcd
>> and address 39
>> Feb 27 15:43:19 lehi kernel: usb 4-6: device descriptor read/64, error -32
>> Feb 27 15:43:20 lehi kernel: usb 4-6: device descriptor read/64, error -32
>> Feb 27 15:43:20 lehi kernel: usb 4-6: new high speed USB device using
>> ehci_hcd
>> and address 40
>> Feb 27 15:43:20 lehi kernel: usb 4-6: device descriptor read/64, error -32
>> Feb 27 15:43:21 lehi kernel: hub 4-0:1.0: Cannot enable port 6. Maybe the
>> USB
>> cable is bad?
>> Feb 27 15:43:21 lehi kernel: usb 4-6: new high speed USB device using
>> ehci_hcd
>> and address 41
>> Feb 27 15:43:21 lehi kernel: usb 4-6: device not accepting address 41, error
>> -32
>> Feb 27 15:43:21 lehi kernel: usb 4-6: new high speed USB device using
>> ehci_hcd
>> and address 42
>> Feb 27 15:43:22 lehi kernel: usb 4-6: device not accepting address 42, error
>> -32
>>
>> I'm not sure where to look as the fdi issues discussed in other threads
>> don't
>> apply. I've never put gpartd, or any other partition manipulation software
>> on
>> this desktop PC and the fdi files don't exist that others removed to get
>> things working again.

> [...]

2911 works. I just hate going backwards. It's like when I first started using
FC5 and my sata_sil caused issues with mirrored drives and boot failures with
any of the new kernels. After a few kernel updates, things settled down.

I may have to bite the backward bullet...

Karl

karl
     _/  _/      _/      _/_/_/       ____________   __o
    _/ _/       _/      _/    _/     ____________  _-\<._
   _/_/        _/      _/_/_/                     (_)/ (_)
  _/ _/       _/      _/           ......................
 _/   _/ arl _/_/_/  _/ earson    KarlP at ourldsfamily.com
---
Senior Consulting Sys/DB Analyst
http://consulting.ourldsfamily.com
---
 My Thoughts on Terrorism In America right after 9/11/2001:
 http://www.ourldsfamily.com/wtc.shtml
---
 The world is a dangerous place to live... not because of
 the people who are evil, but because of the people who
 don't do anything about it.
 - Albert Einstein
---