"Unable to find devices of the type needed for this installation type."

Harold Hallikainen harold at hallikainen.com
Mon Mar 19 12:50:01 UTC 2007

I'm trying to install FC6 on a Sony Viao PCG-431L using the PCFA-CD51/A
CD-ROM drive. The CD boots, and I can start going through the
installation. After telling the installer I want to install from CD, it
says "Unable to find any devices of the type needed for this installation
type. Would you like to manually select your driver or use a driver disk?"
The devices I expect it needs to find are the CD and the hard drive. It
has apparently found the CD, since that's where it is booting from. If I
say "use driver disk," it lets me look at /dev/hda1 or /dev/hda5, so it
appears it can find the hard drive. Any idea what device it cannot find,
or what I do to continue the install? If I say "select driver," the listed
drivers COULD be for either the CD or hard drive (drivers like
usb-storage, aacraid, etc.).

Thanks!

Harold

--