network installation ( dhcp problem)

Alok Pandey alok.rhct at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 20:11:56 UTC 2007

hi Rick
 Thanks for your time :
 Plz find the details just below to your reply..

Rick Stevens wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-03-23 at 12:55 +0530, Alok Pandey wrote:
>
>> Hi  linux Gurus,
>> I am trying to configure a network installation server on CentOS(2.6.9).
>>

> No, it's CentOS 4.something.  The kernel is 2.6.9-something.  Please be
> clear... there are major differences between the different CentOS
> versions.

Server : Centos 4.3 final kernel (2.6.9-34.El)
CLient : Centos 4.3 final       kernel (2.6.-34.el)
>> The point where i stucked  is .
>>     The client is not able to find my dhcp server.
>> The steps which i have taken is:
>> 1) copy all the 4 cd disk to /data/network-install/x86/CentOs/RPM
>> 2) copy all the 4 cd image to /data/network-install/x86/CentOs/ISO
>> 3)configured NFS as (in  /etc/exportfs)
>>      /data/network    *(ro,sync)
>> 4)configured ftp as
>>     anon_root=/data/network-install/x86/CentOs/RPM
>> 5) Configured dhcp server by putting mac address ,hostname and ip.
>>

> Are you sure you started the DHCP daemon, dhcpd?

Yes: i have restarted  the dhcpd service.
>> Now  after booting the client with CentOs 1st cd and choosing te option :-
>> 1) Lan Boot
>>     results: perfect  (i.e it get the ip same  address as mentioned in Dhcp)
>> 2) linux askmethod
>>     a) Dynamic Ip by dhcp
>>         results:- fail  with error
>>         Pump Told us : no dhcp reply recived.
>>

> Hell, the installer still uses pump?  Jeeze!

What do mean by 'still uses pump' ??

>>     b) static ip
>>     results:- proceed , but failed to mount the nfs share and anonymous
>> dir  shared by the server.
>>

> This sounds like a firewall issue to me.  Get on the server and verify
> that you've opened the firewall for NFS and DHCP.

Yes : their  is no firewall  on the server .(i.e iptable is stoped)
>> Hope the above Information will clear my situation .
>> I am not getting any way around, can any one show me a light.
>> Any suggestion is welcome.
>>
>> One thing i will like to mention here is that after installation ,
>> client find my dhcp successfully . and also
>>

> And also....what?
>
> It's odd that after installation dhclient finds the dhcp server, but
> not before.  Again, this could be a firewall issue and you're not
> actually using DHCP but a fixed IP.

I know is odd but its happening . and i am getting the pump error when
ever  i used the dhcp option at installation time.
Firewall is off on server .
Dhcp server is configured as,
  ip range  50-100 is reserved for laptop(i.e they always get different
ip  when plugged) and rest machines are hardcore  with their mac address.

Can you  suggest me were do i look for the fault.