problem with mounting NTFS filesystem on linux

Rick Stevens rstevens at internap.com
Mon Mar 26 23:23:41 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-03-27 at 02:28 +0530, Alok Pandey wrote:
> Hi all,
>  i am getting problem while mounting  150Gb of ntfs partition in linux
> in rw mode. The mount command shows that it mounted in rw mode , but
> when ever i tried to make a dir or file ( as unprivileged user or root)
> it shows permission denied , filesystem in ro mode.
>
> os : Centos 4.3 final 2.6.20.1 (kernel compiled with ntfs support option).
>
> plz help me If any one have face this problem before ?

Did you compile the NTFS write support version of the module?  The
default version is RO.

Also note that the NTFS module, even in read/write mode, only permits
overwriting existing files and only so long as it doesn't change the
length of the file.  You can't create or delete files or directories,
either.  Really, NTFS is only good for reading files.  Don't trust it
for anything else.  If you must share files between Winblows and Linux,
either use a CIFS (Samba) mount of the filesystem or use VFAT
filesystems.

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens at internap.com -
-           "I understand Windows 2000 has a Y2K problem."           -