UPS comments

Rick Stevens rstevens at internap.com
Fri Mar 30 17:04:53 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-03-27 at 22:46 -0700, Karl Pearson wrote:
> On Tue, March 27, 2007 5:56 pm, Rick Stevens wrote:
> > On Tue, 2007-03-27 at 17:02 -0700, Bret Stern wrote:
> >> I am thinking of adding a UPS (APC Back-UPS Pro 650) to one
> >> of my servers because i'm bored.
> >>
> >> Is the apcupsd daemon the common solution for monitoring the UPS,
> >> or is there a canned rpm with Fedora 6 which will handle a simple
> >> controlled shutdown?
> >
> > "nut" (network UPS tools) has a bunch of stuff.  Have a looksee at the
> > NUT home page:
> >
> > 	http://www.networkupstools.org/
> >
> > And you can install the RPMs via:
> >
> > 	yum install nut
> > 	yum install nut-client
>
> Or you can consider a Belkin UPS. I got one for my desktop at work and it
> comes with a Linux monitoring tool. I've not set it up for shutdown as this
> one keeps the system up for several hours (I over-bought). I'll have to look
> at that issue.

I have a distrust of Belkin stuff...at least their network gear.  It
wasn't too long ago that they put code in one of their routers that
would redirect your connections to an advertising web site every fifth
or sixth web connection.  They finally fessed up that they had done it.
>From that time on, I've looked askance at Belkin.

> And I'll see about NUT, too.

We use it.  It works.

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens at internap.com -
- Grabel's Law: 2 is not equal to 3--not even for large values of 2. -