printer suddenly disappeared

Buz Davis buzdavis at earthlink.net
Thu May 31 05:32:00 UTC 2007

I have a locally connected (dev/lp0) samsung laser printer that I have
been using for a couple of years now.  Suddenly this evening I am unable
to print to it from my Linux box (Red Hat 9).

on attempting to print the file 'pthis' I get errors:

lpr pthis
lpr error - no default destination available
lpr -P printer pthis
lpr error - unable to print file:  server-error-service-unavailable

If I go into Gnome/system tools/print manager I get "No printers found.
Run the printer configuration tool ?".  On clicking OK and giving the
root password the printer configuration appears, and it correctly lists
the printer and notes that it is the default.  But it gives the
"service-unavailable" message when I attempt to print a test page.

I have tried disconnecting the printer cable and letting Kudzu remove
the configuration, then connecting it and rebooting, and Kudzu finds and
configures it (so it says).  Then on entering the Gnome configuration
tool I find that the data are still there. (I even tried deleting them
and recreating).  None of this has helped.

Any ideas would be appreciated.