Please help with the IPv6 installation support

Jing CDL Sun sjing at cn.ibm.com
Fri Nov 2 02:06:58 UTC 2007

Hi Rick,

Thank you for your help, but I still have one questions about the kickstart
config file,
I can configure the NFS server by specifying "%ethX" at the end of the IPv6
address of the remote host, and except that, is there any other different
config in the
kickstart file to using IPv6 NFS network installation?

Is that any related document that can guide me to do IPv6 NFS network
installation step by step?
if there is, then it is so GREAT!

In addition, which release does RedHatEL begin to support IPv6 NFS network
installation?
then I can begin to probe them, thank you.

Best Regards,
-----------------------------
Sun Jing(孙靖)
IBM China Software Development Laboratory
Tel: (86-10) 82782244 ext.3625   E-mail: sjing at cn.ibm.com
Address:5F Deshi Building No.9 Shangdi East Road Haidian District,Beijing
City P.R.China 100085, P.R.China.

             Rick Stevens
             <rstevens at interna
             p.com>                                                     To
             Sent by:                  Getting started with Red Hat Linux
             redhat-install-li         <redhat-install-list at redhat.com>
             st-bounces at redhat                                          cc
             .com
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: Please help with the IPv6

             Please respond to
              Getting started
               with Red Hat
                   Linux
             <redhat-install-l
              ist at redhat.com>

On Thu, 2007-11-01 at 13:43 +0800, Jing CDL Sun wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We are going to install RedHat(maybe RedHatEL5.1) to a system P
> machine with IPv6 network, but we do not know whether RedHat support
> IPv6 installation now,
> if so, could you point me to the configuration method or the related
> document? That will be very helpful for us, thank you in advance.
>
> BTW, I have read Installation_Guide, but not find any clue about IPv6
> installation, can anyone help me? thank you.

RHEL does support normal IPv6 operations.

If you're trying to do a network install (http, ftp, NFS) and your
machine has multiple NICs, then the specification of the host containing
the install images MUST include the ID of the ethernet NIC you wish to
use (eth0, eth1, etc.) by specifying "%ethX" at the end of the IPv6
address of the remote host.

redhat-install-list-request at redhat.com