NFS File Locking

Rick Stevens rstevens at internap.com
Wed Nov 28 19:08:34 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-11-28 at 09:27 -0800, Waldher, Travis R wrote:
> Is there a command I can use to manually lock a file?
>

> My goal is to test NFS file locking with groups greater than 16.

I don't know of one, but it wouldn't be hard to write.  You'd need to
open the file, lock it via fcntl() (flock() does not work over NFS) and
hold the lock until not needed.

Remember that if the program exits, the lock would be released.

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens at internap.com -
- CDN Systems, Internap, Inc.                http://www.internap.com -
-     Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.      -