Installing RHEL4 from ftp

toufique shakh toufique.shaikh at linuxmail.org
Thu Sep 6 11:52:49 UTC 2007

Hello everybody,
I need your help in installing linux from ftp.
Installation guide from Redhat site says that it can be done in 2 ways,
1. copying all rpm from 4 cd's & placing them together in one directory RPM ie under Install/RedHat/----------base
              |__________RPMS *.

and

2. mounting all 4 cd's or their ISO's under disk1,disk2,disk3,disk4

ie /Install/Disk1
- - - - - - Disk2
- - - - - - Disk3
- - - - - - Disk4

and finally making Install directory visible to ftp client.

1st one works perfectly for me,
but when i tried the 2nd option, i was getting error while installing package hwdata-0.146.12.EL.1 rpm which is actually located in 2nd ISO mounted under /Install/Disk2/ .

I think redhat gets disk1 without any problem, but it is not getting disk2.

FYI
i am mounting all 4 iso's using command "mount /RHEL_CD_x ../Installation/Diskx", where x is 1,2,3,4.

any help appreciated.

Thankx.

=