Installer prompts for device driver

Tony Robbins stevetony at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 11 02:42:54 UTC 2007

Thanks, Rick. Here's the website for the specs:  http://tinyurl.com/ywpz8q

  I'm attmpting to update the BIOS now, but not sure if that'll help. I'll check the settings as well.

Rick Stevens <rstevens at internap.com> wrote:
  On Mon, 2007-09-10 at 15:21 -0700, Tony Robbins wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm installing Fedora 7 on a Toshiba Tecra 750DVD directly from the
> DVD (i.e. not Live). During install it stops with the message:
>
> No Driver found
> Unable to find any devices of the type
> needed for this installation type.
> Would you like to manually select your
> driver or use a driver disk?
>
> I've tried random drivers from the list, but none have worked so far.
> Does anyone know where I can get a "driver disk" or the driver to put
> on the disk?

Uhm, hmmm. There's two possibilities. One is that the installer isn't
recognizing your DVD drive properly (probably not likely). The second
is that your hard drive is a on a SATA controller it doesn't recognize
(more probably).

Unfortunately, I can't find that model on Toshiba's website, so I don't
know which chipset it uses (probably Intel). The first thing you should
do is make sure you have the latest BIOS installed on the laptop.
Second, try setting the SATA controller to "Legacy" mode in the BIOS and
retry your installation. I can't guarantee if that'll fix it, but it's
worth a try.

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer rstevens at internap.com -
- -
- Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the -
- reader...who doesn't get it. -
redhat-install-list-request at redhat.com