install grub on LVM

Rick Stevens rstevens at internap.com
Tue Sep 18 21:29:45 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-09-18 at 16:14 -0500, Fred Grant wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-09-18 at 09:56 -0700, Rick Stevens wrote:
> > On Tue, 2007-09-18 at 06:39 -0500, Fred Grant wrote:
> > > I want to install grub on hd1 boot partition which is LVM.  Grub doesn't
> > > seem to recognize it.
> >
> > You can't do that.  Grub doesn't understand LVM (nor will any boot
> > loader).  Grub must be installed in the MBR or in the beginning of a
> > standard filesystem...not something layered on top of LVM.  LVM will
> > not be recognized until the kernel is running, and by the time that
> > happens, grub is long out of the picture.
> >
> Hey Rick:
>  you didn't comment on the f5 to f7 upgrade question.  I'd appreciate
> any comments you might have

Hmmm.  Upgrades are spotty at best.  I've done a few and gotten them to
work, but not without a struggle.

The most common problem is that the system doesn't purge old FC5-based
RPMs from the database and the system will try to continue to update
those old RPMs and run into a lot of conflicts, dependency issues, etc.
Some config files don't get updated, the ld config isn't always updated
cleanly, the yum repositories are different, etc., etc.  Keep in mind
that F7 uses some FC6 RPMs, either because the old FC6 rpm was adequate
and there was no need to spin an F7-specific one, or the functionality
was moved to a different RPM.

To be honest, I'd do a fresh install of F7.  FC5->FC6 is probably
doable with minor efforts.  FC6->F7 is doable as well (this machine
is an FC6->F7 upgrade).  FC5->F7 is probably too much of a jump.
That being said, if you have a good backup and you have the time to futz
with it, give 'er a go!

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens at internap.com -
- CDN Systems, Internap, Inc.                http://www.internap.com -
-               500: Internal Fortune Cookie Error                   -