unstable system question

Rick Stevens rstevens at internap.com
Thu Sep 20 20:24:35 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-09-20 at 13:19 -0400, jim ruxton wrote:
> My system keeps slowing down and locking up. The only thing I've found
> is that I get the following system message when this happens. I'm
> assuming this is related but it may just be a coincidence or a result of
> the lockup.
>
> Sep 20 04:05:35 localhost kernel: Clocksource tsc unstable (delta =
> 84348170175 ns)
> Sep 20 04:05:35 localhost kernel: Time: acpi_pm clocksource has been
> installed.
>
> I tried adding notsc to my boot file ie.
>
> kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.22.5-49.fc6 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb
> quiet notsc
>
> but tsc still is loaded at boot. Any one have any thoughts on this. As
> you can see above I'm on FC6 with 2.6.22 Kernel.

notsc is only valid on IA32 (Itanium) processors.  You might try
booting with "clocksource=acpi_pm" initially to see if that helps.

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens at internap.com -
- CDN Systems, Internap, Inc.                http://www.internap.com -
-      Do you know how to save five drowning lawyers?  No?  GOOD!    -