terminal text attributes - setting

Rick Stevens rstevens at internap.com
Tue Sep 25 23:04:04 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-09-25 at 15:42 -0700, Bret Stern wrote:
> I'm using Windows Remote Desktop to connect to
> a MS Windows Server, then using "putty" from the
> server to establish an inside connection
> to a Fedora 5 terminal screen.
>
> When doing a "ls -l" command, the results are
> very hard to read.
>
> Can I configure the way (color, font size etc) are
> displayed on the Fedora terminal window?

To a point.  You can control the colors via the "dircolors" command and
use "ls --color=[auto|always|never]" to control when colors are
displayed.

As to the font, there is a "putty" term type in the system that should
handle most of your stuff.  If you really need to change it, you can run
the "setfont" command.  There's a bunch of fonts in the
/lib/kbd/consolefonts directory.  Be careful with those.  You may end
up with something TOTALLY unreadable.

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens at internap.com -
- CDN Systems, Internap, Inc.                http://www.internap.com -
-                 All generalizations are false.                     -