Newtwork adaptor speed

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Tue Apr 1 16:20:00 UTC 2008

John Dunn wrote:
> How do I tell what is the best speed to set teh network adaptor to
>
> I have a Dell PowerEdge 2900 and by default it is set to 100 Full Duplex

95% of all network cards will autodetect just fine, so I'd recommend
putting it in autodetect mode.  I've used a TON of 2950s and very rarely
had an issue with autodetect.

There are SOME switches (usually really cheap ones) that won't play nice
with autodetect, in which case you make sure the NIC and the switch are
set to the same thing.  Personally, I'd chuck the el cheapo switch and
get something decent.  Autodetect isn't that hard and if it can't do it,
I'd wonder what else is marginal in it (collision detection, layer 2
routing, ARPs and a host of other stuff).
- Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer                       rps2 at nerd.com -
- Hosting Consulting, Inc.                                           -
-       A squeegee, by any other name, wouldn't sound as funny.      -