Fdisk and filesystems

Karl Pearson karlp at ourldsfamily.com
Fri Feb 8 23:46:45 UTC 2008

On Fri, February 8, 2008 8:37 am, Esquivel, Vicente wrote:
> Can anyone tell me if it is a must that you do fdisk on a newly
> presented  SAN lun or can you skip that step and just create the file
> system on the entire lun device using "mkfs -t ext3", on a linux server?

If you haven't created the partitions, then you must use fdisk first. At the
least, I would recommend you run it against the disk to see if anything is
there, and if so, what type it is. If it's not ready for an ext3 filesystem,
you're going to have some interesting events happen.

Good luck,

Karl

> Thanks

Karl L. Pearson
karlp at ourldsfamily.com
http://consulting.ourldsfamily.com
---
 My Thoughts on Terrorism In America right after 9/11/2001:
 http://www.ourldsfamily.com/wtc.shtml
---
 The world is a dangerous place to live... not because of
 the people who are evil, but because of the people who
 don't do anything about it.
 - Albert Einstein
---
"To mess up your Linux PC, you have to really work at it;
 to mess up a microsoft PC you just have to work on it."
---