NIS domainame not holding after reboot

Rick Stevens rstevens at internap.com
Wed Jan 16 21:12:39 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-01-16 at 11:08 -0800, Waldher, Travis R wrote:
> I’ve had a few machines, especially virtual ones for some reason; that
> just don’t hold the domainname after a reboot.
>

> I type:
>

> domainname mydomain
>

> and it’s set.  I edit /etc/sysconfig/network and add
> NISDOMAIN=mydomain.
>

> I reboot and I get (none) when I type in domainname.  Even odder, if
> the machine changes NIS domains, it’s remembering the old domain.

You have to bind to the NIS master of the new domain.

> Has anyone seen this?

The only time the NIS domain is set is if you have ypbind enabled (e.g.
"service ypbind on").  You can bury the "NISDOMAIN=whatever" in
/etc/sysconfig/network, /etc/sysconfig/ypbind or /etc/yp.conf.

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens at internap.com -
- CDN Systems, Internap, Inc.                http://www.internap.com -
-                       When in doubt, mumble.                       -