redhat licensing

Bob McClure Jr bob at bobcatos.com
Mon Jul 7 14:22:47 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jul 07, 2008 at 06:40:20AM +0000, Sujitkumar Shirkar wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I would like to know
> do i need to buy RHEL 4, Update 4 license if i have to use it for
> production purpose?

If you want regular updates, bug fixes, and security fixes, yes.

> We have download from the net and it is working fine, then do i need
> to buy license?

See above answer.

> If i have 100 system installed with RHEL4 Update 4 and if i i buy
> only one RHEL subcription will it work for all 100 systems?

No, not unless you apply some extraordinary kluges.

> Please advise

Why don't you just download and install CentOS (preferably v5, at this
point)

http://www.centos.org/

which is a repackaged superset of RHEL, for which updates are free?

There are two good reasons to buy an RHEL license.

1. Get the regular updates.

2. Get customer support from their techs.

But you will have to get one for each box running RHEL.

> With Thanks and Regards
>
> Sujitkumar Shirkar

Cheers,
bob at bobcatos.com             http://www.bobcatos.com
Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people,
especially to those who belong to the family of believers.
Galatians 6:10 (NIV)