CentOS 5.2 64bit Vs Rendhat RHEL4 update 4

Bob McClure Jr bob at bobcatos.com
Tue Jul 15 16:38:28 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 06:34:04AM +0000, Sujitkumar Shirkar wrote:

> Hello All,

> I need some guidance from you. I am using some special software on
> linux. The software is functioning fine on both Centos 5.2 and RHEL4
> update 4. i am now confused which one to use for my rest of the 20
> systems. both are functioning similar.

I presume you know that CentOS is a repackaged super-set of RHEL, so,
except for version differences, they should work the same.

> Can anybody advise which os
> will be better in terms of management,

Depending on what you mean by management, pretty much the same.

> cost (licensing),

CentOS is definitely better ($0).

> feature,

CentOS has more stuff in the distro, but none of the extras are likely
to be essential to your operation.

If you pay RHEL for some level of support, you have someone you can
call, email, or web-form to help fix problems.

> performance, os overheads on hardware, Networking etc.

The only differences will be version 4 vs. version 5.

If you want the latest versions of packages, e.g. PHP 5 instead of 4,
Apache 2.2 instead of 2.0, and several others (see the release notes
on CentOS 5), you want v5 of Centos or RHEL.

RHEL offers several levels of support, but you must pay for one ticket
per box.  That includes regular updates.  If you can handle things
with mailing list help, then go for CentOS.  Updates are free.

> With Thanks
> and Regards Sujitkumar Shirkar

Cheers,
bob at bobcatos.com             http://www.bobcatos.com
The commandments, "Do not commit adultery," "Do not murder," "Do not
steal," "Do not covet," and whatever other commandment there may be,
are summed up in this one rule: "Love your neighbor as yourself."
Romans 13:9 (NIV)