Video display not adjustable

Bob McClure Jr bob at bobcatos.com
Mon Jul 28 18:20:05 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 01:55:29PM -0400, vbs wrote:
> I have an old HP Netserver LC that I tried to install RH 5 using the GUI and
> was not able to. I was able to install it in text mode.
>

> The problem I have now is when I run the GUI the only option is the 640x480.
> The onboard video is a Cirrus logic GD5446. The display options will not let
> me change the setting. It would probably be acceptable if I could get it to
> work at 800x600 any ideas would be appreciated.

When you (as root) run system-config-display, does it recognize what
monitor you are using?

I'm guessing not, and the system will go for the safest configuration
when in doubt.  Use the pull-down menu to see if you can tell it what
monitor you are using.  If you find it in the list, the config program
will allow you more useful options.  If you don't find your monitor in
the list and you know what its capabilities are, select one of the
Generic monitors that most closely fits yours.

> Thanks
> -Dave Vantine
>
> --
> Thanks
> Dave Vantine

Cheers,
bob at bobcatos.com             http://www.bobcatos.com
Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in
the training and instruction of the Lord.  Ephesians 6:4 (NIV)