Booting off of the RHEL4.6-ia64-ES-disc1.iso

Bob McClure Jr bob at bobcatos.com
Mon Mar 24 18:31:52 UTC 2008

On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 11:21:36AM -0700, Al Sparks wrote:
> I downloaded the RHEL4.6-ia64-ES* ISO files, and burned the RHEL4.6-ia64-ES-disc1.iso to a CD.
>
> I attempted to boot off of it and it simply doesn't.

What does it do or say?

> I used Windows Sonic DigitalMedia Plus v7, using the Copy -> Burn Image option.
>
> What am I doing wrong?
>    === Al

Mount the CD or look at it with Windoze, depending on what's
available.  If you see a single file, RHEL4.6-ia64-ES-disc1.iso, then
you didn't burn it as an ISO image.  You now have a coaster. :-)
Check the docs on your burning software to see how to burn an ISO
image.

On the other hand, if you see several directories and files, then it
would appear to be burned correctly.  Then check your BIOS to make
sure that it will boot the CD drive ahead of the hard drive.

If the problem is still not identified, give us some more symptoms
such as error messages and any other clues.

Cheers,
bob at bobcatos.com             http://www.bobcatos.com
The angel said to the women, "Do not be afraid, for I know that you
are looking for Jesus, who was crucified. He is not here; he has
risen, just as he said. Come and see the place where he lay. Then go
quickly and tell his disciples: 'He has risen from the dead and is
going ahead of you into Galilee. There you will see him.' Now I have
told you."  Matthew 28:5-7 (NIV)