TCP?

Karl Pearson karlp at ourldsfamily.com
Thu Oct 16 19:23:21 UTC 2008

On Thu, 16 Oct 2008, Rick Stevens wrote:

> Karl Pearson wrote:

>>> Ok, then check your default routes, "netstat -rn" and verify that the
>>> one with "UG" is indeed your default gateway.
>>
>> It checks out okay.
>
> Okey doke.  Just checking.  With updates and such (and that goddamn
> POS called "NetworkManager"), anything's possible.

I disable NetworkMangler on my servers at install time.

>> I'm not sure how, but it works fine. Let me 'splain...
>>
>> In checking for things in /etc/mail/sendmail.mc and /etc/mail/submit.mc I
>> found that one can just type
>>
>> make (or make -C /etc/mail)
>>
>> in /etc/mail and submit.mc will be transferred to submit.cf as if m4 had
>> been
>> run. Same with sendmail.mc
>
> Actually, sendmail.cf is the output of m4 after processing sendmail.mc
> (and others).

Yes, nice, huh? Why doesn't sendmail.cf actually act like a .conf file one
can just modify? Like I haven't manually modified them for years anyway :)

>> I've also seen that using make restart works on some distros, and so tried
>> it,
>> and that works, too.
>
> Most of them to a "cd /etc/mail;make" before they actually start
> sendmail (either in a "restart" or a "start" scenario).

Yes, but new to me.

>> In any case, that's not the apparent solution, which IS DNS related, but
>> not
>> in the way you or I thought. I changed the line in sendmail.mc:
>>
>> FEATURE(`accept_unresolvable_domains')dnl

>> dnl FEATURE(`accept_unresolvable_domains')dnl
>>
>> and things started working again as they had several days ago. Now then,
>> please understand that nothing had been changed on the server at all.
>> Nothing.
>> That's why I still think there may be a hardware issue somewhere. The
>> feature
>> above has been enabled since the system was installed 7 weeks ago.
>
> Yes, anything that's to be put into the sendmail.cf must begin with
> "dnl".  Things without "dnl" are directives to m4 itself.

dnl is the starting line of a not-to-be-used feature, so adding dnl turned
it off. Or am I missing something?

> BTW, m4 is a right pain in the arse...why sendmail.org decided to standardize
> on it is beyond my comprehension.

Yes it is. Which is why I was happy to see that 'make' does the same thing
now.

> As far as DNS issues are concerned...well, there's much to check.
> Verify that /etc/resolv.conf has the actual DNS servers in it and verify
> you can ping them from the host in question.  In some cases, your router
> does DNS for you via a proxy.

I had checked that stuff before emailing the list. I should have mentioned
it. The solution isn't a real solution as some email still times out, but
the majority is able to be delivered to port 25

> Next, verify that you have TCP and UDP port 53 open so DNS queries can
> be handled, both in the iptables config and in your external firewall
> (amazing how many of them block DNS).  You can use "related,established"
> in your iptables rules if you are concerned about security.

DNS is open. I do my own DNS and my ISP 'secondary's my changes on a
schedule based on serial. iptables is set to related,established already.
That's been in place for a few years now across server upgrades.

But, like email sending, ssh is now slow again... But not as slow as
before. I'm still leaning toward hardware being the issue, though I
haven't been able to track it down yet.

One thing I just tried for grins and giggles is to switch nsswitch.conf
from:

hosts: dns files
hosts: files dns

and things seem much faster again. But, that was at dns files forever
(okay, seven weeks on this server).

Karl

---
  _/   _/ arl _/_/_/  _/ earson    KarlP at ourldsfamily.com