dovecot Outlook failure

Karl Pearson karlp at ourldsfamily.com
Sat Oct 25 07:09:42 UTC 2008

On Fri, 24 Oct 2008, Rick Stevens wrote:

> Karl Pearson wrote:

>>> Uh, really dumb question, but did you "chkconfig dovecot on" to make
>>> sure it starts on boot?  Did you start it via "service dovecot start"?
>>> Does "netstat -lpn" show dovecot listening on ports 110 and 143?
>>
>> No, that's not the least bit dumb. I didn't and it wasn't, but that wasn't
>> the problem because I did that pretty early on, and fixed it. The server
>> had been rebooted a few times since.
>>
>> I did find the problem, though hadn't come across it before. It was
>> iptables not 'trusting' those services to be accessed from a remote IP
>> address. Thus, it worked on the server, but not from anywhere else. I did
>> iptables -F and turned it off. The server is behind a very nice Linux-based
>> firewall, and those services aren't NATted anyway. Only 25, 80 and 22 are
>> open, and 22 to root is forbidden. The old server had been on a DMZ, with
>> Samba and everything else open for the world to see.
>
> Ah!  Yeah, that'd block them for sure.  iptables was going to be my next
> question, but you beat me to it!  Heheheheheh!
>
>> When I install other servers, I typically disable iptables from starting at
>> boot because I have my own scripts to do it for me.
>>
>> With the information you gave in the last thread I started, I may be
>> re-thinking that strategy. It bit me big this time.
>
> I'll help if I can.  I just finished my PCI-hardening stuff so I've got
> a pretty good grip on security stuff now...iptables, external firewalls,
> ssh restrictions, session timeouts, authentication and sudo off LDAP,
> the lot.

Since I'm 'out of work' at the moment and back to consulting, I really
ought to learn what PCI is really all about. I understand the basics, but
the requirements are just about overwhelming to one as annoyingly
self-taught as I am.

Thanks for your help again.

Karl

> - Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer                      ricks at nerd.com -
> - AIM/Skype: therps2        ICQ: 22643734            Yahoo: origrps2 -
> - I never drink water because of the disgusting things that fish do  -
> -                                  in it.                            -
> -                                                      -- WC. Fields -

---
       _/  _/      _/      _/_/_/       ____________   __o
   _/   _/ arl _/_/_/  _/ earson    KarlP at ourldsfamily.com
---
http://consulting.ourldsfamily.com
---
"To mess up your Linux PC, you have to really work at it;
  to mess up a microsoft PC you just have to work on it."
---