Fwd: How to WIPE Service with D+ STAT

alok pandey alok.rhct at gmail.com
Fri Apr 10 11:45:11 UTC 2009

Hi
Recently I experienced a problem on one of  user-desktop machine
(centos5.2), when a user(with all access) deleted the file
 /var/log/messages  to free some space (as  df -h was showing /var 100%
full), but still df -h shows 100% full.
It takes around 10 min to figure out the problem. To resolve it, I just
reloaded the syslog service. ( I was luck that user told me what he did
before, otherwise I am sure it will  take min of 1 to 2 hour )

I want to know that is there any way to get perfect details of such
misguiding output. (one i know is fuser, but i didn't find it's helpful).

To be more specific about problem I want to know ,Is there any way in
Linux(centos) to do the following :-
--Remove/reload/wipe process who's ps output comes with D+ stat
--How to trace running  script/process  , were it is blocked/hold (basically
exact line of script)
--process/users details of using  resource ( disk partition, memory, files,
etc) .

--
Thanks
ALOK PANDEY