Fwd: How to WIPE Service with D+ STAT

alok pandey alok.rhct at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 04:40:27 UTC 2009

HI Rick,
Thanks for your time but I am already aware of what you have stated, I am
more ,about my other queries, i.e
 --Remove/reload/wipe process who's ps output comes with D+ stat
--How to trace running  script/process  , were it is blocked/hold (basically
exact line of script), (any combination of linux command)
--process/users details of using  resource ( disk partition, memory, files,
etc) .(other than fuser)?.

It will be a great help to me if you (or any one) can provide me a pointer
regarding the same.
Btw,
Thanks again for your support.

--Alok

On 4/10/09, Rick Stevens <ricks at nerd.com> wrote:

> alok pandey wrote:
>
>> Hi
>> Recently I experienced a problem on one of  user-desktop machine
>> (centos5.2), when a user(with all access) deleted the file
>>  /var/log/messages  to free some space (as  df -h was showing /var 100%
>> full), but still df -h shows 100% full.
>> It takes around 10 min to figure out the problem. To resolve it, I just
>> reloaded the syslog service. ( I was luck that user told me what he did
>> before, otherwise I am sure it will  take min of 1 to 2 hour )
>>

>> I want to know that is there any way to get perfect details of such
>> misguiding output. (one i know is fuser, but i didn't find it's helpful).
>>
>> To be more specific about problem I want to know ,Is there any way in
>> Linux(centos) to do the following :-
>> --Remove/reload/wipe process who's ps output comes with D+ stat
>> --How to trace running  script/process  , were it is blocked/hold
>> (basically
>> exact line of script)
>> --process/users details of using  resource ( disk partition, memory,
>> files,
>> etc) .
>>

> When you free up space in a directory, all of the files in that
> directory must be closed before the free space will appear.  As long as
> a program holds an open file there, the free space won't appear.
>
> In your case, syslog was holding /var/log/messages open so the free
> space was hidden.  When you restarted syslog, it closed
> /var/log/messages allowing the true state of things to appear.  It then
> reopened the file and life continues.

Thanks
ALOK PANDEY