Problem with compiled kernel 2.6.26fc+ unable to identify cdrom format

alok pandey alok.rhct at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 08:20:19 UTC 2009

Update,
Now I can mount that device (cdrom) in ide-mode.(i.e providing kernel boot
parameter as all-generic-ide)
But still no luck with default parameter.

--Is their any way to inform kernel to detect a particular device,partition
in ide mode (actually looking for some thing at boot parameter like
/dev/sdb1=generic-ide) ??

According to log's, My kernel is able to detect the device also I can mount
an iso image with no error(i.e mount -t fs image dir). So what could be
problem in middle? I have checked my cd is also perfect.

Now I am feeling alone, plz show me some way to proceed !!

Btw,
My machine have 32G of Ram. could it be a problem for cdrom ??

--Alok

On 4/14/09, alok pandey <alok.rhct at gmail.com> wrote:

> It's happenings with all cd, apparently , that same cd  get mounted
> successfully on other linux machines.
>
> What to do next ..?
> --Alok
>

> On 4/13/09, Rick Stevens <ricks at nerd.com> wrote:
>>
>> alok pandey wrote:
>>
>>> HI,
>>> Still waiting for response, putting some more information for your better
>>> understanding.
>>>
>>> Exact error: in dmesg
>>> scsi 4:0:0:0: Direct-Access Dell Virtual Floppy 123 PQ: 0 ANSI: 0 CCS
>>> scsi 3:0:0:0: CD-ROM Dell Virtual CDROM 123 PQ: 0 ANSI: 0 CCS
>>>

>> If you see this, then the kernel knows about your CD-ROM device.  This
>> is not a kernel issue.
>>
>> sd 4:0:0:0: [sdc] Attached SCSI removable disk
>>>  "ISOFS: Unable to identify CD-ROM format"
>>>

>> That's pretty obvious.  The CD isn't burned correctly.
>>
>> Btw, I can mount ISO image successfully (i.e mount -t iso9660 -o lo
>>> /path/to/image /mount/point), So i am sure FS is well supported.
>>>

>> It is.  This is not a kernel or FS issue, it's a media problem.  The CD
>> you're feeding your machine is NOT an ISO9660 CD.  The ISO image is
>> fine since you can mount it via loopback, but the CD itself is burned
>> incorrectly.
>>

>>> Attaching my config files as.
>>> LSPCI.txt :-> output of LSPCI command
>>> image-kernel-smpx86.conf:-> Kernel config paramater

--
Thanks
ALOK PANDEY