Is there any way to proxy/redirect SSL-connection to remote host

alok pandey alok.rhct at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 06:29:35 UTC 2009

Gurus,
Is there any way to proxy/redirect SSL-connections.
The scenario is :
[Browser]---HTTPS-->[Proxy-pass-WITHPUBLIC-IP
(Apache)]---HTTPS-->[Back-end(tomcat)] (Private Network)

I want to setup Apache proxy-pass or redirection for all HTTPS/HTTP
requests, as we have number of sit running behind one public ip. My setup is
working fine for HTTP request but not for HTTPS request.

BTW,
I am aware of that SSL-connection does not allow man-in-middle attack and
the proxy-pass(Apache) [in above scenario] is behaving same for it.

I want to know that :
--Is there any way to do it (by redirect) by iptables rules DNAT?
--Is it possible to write a iptables rule based on URL-request, If yes, can
you provide me some good example or any pointer !

--Have any one done this before ?
--What are the alternate option for it ?

After lots of Gooogling I found one trick which sense as :

Browser--HTTPS-->Proxy-Pass----AJP---->back-end(tomcate)

So , will the above work ? what points need to be consider while going for
this setup.

Hope I am clear enough with my problem. I will love to provide more details
, if needed  for better understanding.

--
Thanks
ALOK PANDEY