RHEL Partitioining Scheme (UNCLASSIFIED)

Johnson, Kenyetta A Mrs CIV USA NETCOM/9TH SC A Kenyetta.Johnson at us.army.mil
Fri May 8 18:51:09 UTC 2009

Classification:  UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

Hi Linux Gurus,

I'm installing RHEL v5.2 on a virtual machine with 1GB RAM and 50GB
storage.
The image will be used to install a kickstart server to be used for
building systems to support network operation COTS applications.  I
would like some feedback regarding designing a RHEL partitioning scheme.
I've identified the following partitions: /, /boot /home, /opt (netops
apps), /usr /usr/local, /var, and /tmp.
I receive the following message:

"Your selected packages require 1411 MB of free space for installation,
but you do not have enough available.  You can change your selections or
reboot."

The attempted filesystem layout is as follows:

LVM Volume Groups
	VolGroup00
		LogVol02	/tmp	ext3	320
LogVol00	/	ext3	1472