how high a version of Fedora can I expect to run well

Buz Davis buzdavis at earthlink.net
Sun May 24 01:59:16 UTC 2009

Guys,

I have a couple of Linux boxes, both with 500 mhz AMD-K6-2 processors.
One has 256 k ram and the other 320.  I would like to (finally) upgrade
from RH9 to Fedora.  (Actually, I tried the other night to upgrade one
using a set of disks that came with a book.  The update started but then
aborted saying the second cd was invalid.  Fortunately, the system will
still run - grub thinks it is booting a version of Fedora but most
everything else is left-over from RH9).

So I started looking at vendors of Linux install CD's, and found that
Fedora doesn't seem to include system requirements in its descriptions.
 From the little I could glean from what I saw I think I might be able
to run Fedora 9, but would like to have a more knowledgeable opinion.

I mainly use these machines to surf the internet.  I do some
console-oriented C programming, and would like to learn to program for
the X windows system, including 2D vector graphics.  Is there a better
choice than Fedora 9 ?

Thanks,

Buz Davis