Can No Longer See Networked Printer

Karl Pearson karlp at ourldsfamily.com
Mon Oct 19 20:53:50 UTC 2009

On Mon, October 19, 2009 1:06 pm, Micros50 wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a small, in-house network consisting of several Linux machines
> (running Fedora). One of the machines is attached to a printer and the
> printer is published via Cups so it can be seen and utilized by all the
> other machines on the network.
>
> Thus far everything works great. All machines can see the printer and
> all machines can print to it.  That's just the way it should be...
> EXCEPT!!!
>
> Except for one machine downstairs. It was seeing and printing to the
> printer just fine. Now, all of a sudden, over the last couple of days it
> no longer see's any networked printers. It was accessing and printing to
> the networked printer just fine up until a couple days ago.  Now, it is
> suddenly the only machine on my network that can't see or access the
> printer.
>
> So, where do I begin to troubleshoot this problem ? The only possible
> change that may have occur ed over the last couple of days is that Cups
> may have been updated during a routine yum update. But all my other
> machines have been updated similarly and they are not experiencing this
> problem. Furthermore I checked the config files and everything looks
> okay.
>
> Any ideas ? The machine that is having the issue is running Fedora 11.
> But, so are most machines on my network, and they are having no issues
> with printing.

Have you tried installing a new printer and letting it 'find' your
networked printers? Also, have you tried using a network tool to see if
that PC can see the network correctly, such as nmap or just telnet N
where N = a port# you suspect, such as 631?

Just a thought. Give us the details of what you find, if anything.

Karl

> Any help appreciated.... Thanks
>
> John.

---
Karl Pearson
Karlp at ourldsfamily.com
Owner/Administrator of the sites at
http://ourldsfamily.com
---
"To mess up your Linux PC, you have to really work at it;
 to mess up a microsoft PC you just have to work on it."
---
 Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have
 for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
 --Benjamin Franklin
---