Printer Stopped Working

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Wed Feb 10 23:51:29 UTC 2010

On 02/10/2010 12:38 PM, Micros50 wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a Hewlett Packard B209 printer connected via wireless ethernet to
> my LAN. For the past several months everything was working fine. At
> l;east 3 different computers running Fedora 11 and 12 had no problems
> seeing the networked printer and printing to it.
>
> Then all of a sudden everything went kaputz. I think it happened after a
> recent routine upgrade via YUM. All of a sudden none of my computers can
> access the printer. It seems to show up as a valid networked printer
> but, I cannot get it to print. If I send a document to the printer I get
> the following message.
>
> "/usr/lib/cups/filter/hpcups failed"
>
> I cannot even access any administrative functions top pause or restart
> the printer, nor can I print a test page. I disabled my firewall and
> SELinux but unto no avail. It just sits there dumb, like it's there but
> not there. Up to a couple days ago it was working flawlessly.
>
> I attached a copy of my cupsd.conf file. If any further diagnostics are
> needed I can furnish those as well.
>
> Any and all help appreciated. Thanks in advance...

First, try to ping your printer, both by name and by IP address.  If
you can ping via IP but not name, then you may be affected by:

There was an update to both F11 and F12 that can affect you if you are
running BIND (named) on your machine.  It has to do with the dnssec-conf
RPM.  Do an "rpm -q dnssec-conf".  If you get a result that shows either

	1.21-3.fc11
	1.21-7.fc12

then "yum downgrade dnssec-conf" and then "service named restart".
Details are here:

http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/users/2010-February/366334.html
-    If your broker is so damned smart...why is he still working?    -