Problems with RHEL5 Install

Karl Pearson karlp at ourldsfamily.com
Thu Jul 1 02:10:10 UTC 2010

On Wed, June 30, 2010 3:08 pm, Tyler Pauly wrote:
> That helped plenty Rick, thanks!  Unfortunately, I can't take the normal
> support route.  I was able to obtain RHEL through my university's IT
> department; unfortunately, they are also my only avenue of support, and
> they
> are a bit lacking.
>
> I might try out F13 and see how it works.  If that is a no-go, guess I'll
> wait until RHEL6.

If you are just installing RHELx because that's what your IT department
had, you might try downloading a different distribution. I'm thinking of
Linux Mint, which seems to support more out of the box than most other
distros I've seen. It is, however, a .deb-based release, so if you want a
.rpm-based release, go with Fedora. It's going to be pretty much as easy
to use as Mint, but might have a few more instability issues. Mint is
technically based on Ubuntu without the strict GNU license stance of
Canonical, the company behind Ubuntu.

That's my 2 bits, worth every cent you just paid me... ;-)

Karl

> Thanks!
>
> Tyler
>
> On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 4:58 PM, Rick Stevens <ricks at nerd.com> wrote:
>
>> On 06/30/2010 12:18 PM, Tyler Pauly wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I am attempting to install RHEL5 from the 6 CD set onto my home
>>> computer.
>>>
>>> The components are: an Asus P6X58D-E motherboard, an Intel i7 930
>>> processor,
>>> some DDR3 ram and an Nvidia 480 GTX graphics card.
>>>
>>> Upon install, the program asks for drivers.  I assume it is asking for
>>> my
>>> SATA controller drivers for my motherboard, but I am not sure.  In
>>> addition,
>>> I have no idea whether they exist, and if they do, if they are
>>> compatible
>>> with RHEL5.
>>>
>>> Is there a(n easy) way to figure this out?  I have not had luck with
>>> the
>>> drivers included on the RHEL disks. Feel free to let me know if I have
>>> not
>>> included enough information.
>>>
>>> Thank you very much!
>>>

>> If you have purchased RHEL5, then I'd try the normal support route.
>> They may have a solution for you.  I know that board uses a Marvell
>> SATA controller and I'm just not sure how well supported it is on
>> kernels earlier than 2.6.20 or so (RHEL5 uses a 2.6.18 kernel).
>>
>> Note also that the Marvell is a "fake RAID" (not a true hardware RAID).
>> If you have it set up in RAID mode, try taking it down to a non-RAID
>> configuration in the BIOS and try to install that way.  If it works
>> like that, then you'll have to run barefoot (non-RAID) or stuff in
>> a second drive and set up a software RAID.
>>
>> If not, RHEL5 is based on Fedora 6 (we're on Fedora 13 now), and SATA
>> support was somewhat sketchy back then.  The latest release of RHEL5 is
>> 5.5.  If you got those CDs, you might have a better chance as 5.5 is
>> based on a later kernel than the original 5.0 and might have better
>> support.
>>
>> If you have a chance, try downloading the CentOS 5.5 disks and try
>> them.  CentOS is based on the source RPMs from Red Hat.  At least,
>> you'll have an idea as to whether it'll work.
>>
>> As a last resort, try downloading the Fedora 13 Live CD and boot that.
>> If it boots and you can install to your hard drive from there, then at
>> least you'll know that RHEL6 will probably support it out of the box
>> (rumor is that RHEL6 will be based on F13 eventually).
>>
>> Sorry I can't help a heck of a lot more than that.

---
Karl Pearson
Karlp at ourldsfamily.com
Owner/Administrator of the sites at
http://ourldsfamily.com
---
"To mess up your Linux PC, you have to really work at it;
 to mess up a microsoft PC you just have to work on it."
---
 Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have
 for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
 --Benjamin Franklin
---
 Children seldom misquote you. In fact, they usually
 repeat word for word what you shouldn't have said.
---