How to load the driver update disk from local dir of initrd.img?

Xiao Peng Wang wxp at cn.ibm.com
Sat Jun 5 04:40:14 UTC 2010

Hi folks,

   I am trying to make my anaconda/kickstart can load some specific drivers
   (for network or storage devices) before the installation get start. All
   the drivers are in driver update disk format. For the driver disk of
   storage, I can set the entry 'driverdisk --source=http:xxx' in the
   kickstart.conf, then anaconda can load it automatically from http
   server.

   But how to handle the driver for network device? Since in this time the
   network interface card still can not work, anaconda can NOT access the
   http server. Then my initiated idea is to insert the driver update disk
   of NIC into the initrd.img and then tell the anaconda to get the driver
   disk from local directory.
   For example:
   I copy the driver disk my.img to the /cum_driver/mm.img in the initrd
   and add the kernel parameter like "dd=/cum_driver/mm.img".
   The expected result is the driver in the mm.img will be loaded into the
   system, but in fact, the parameter "dd=/cum_driver/mm.img" could not be
   recognized. Any ideas about how to load the driver disk from local
   directory? Thank you.

   By the way, I known a worked solution is to insert the NIC driver
   modules into the /modules/modules.cgz of the initrd.img. But is's a
   little hard to take the driver from driver disk and insert them into
   the /modules/modules.cgz

Thanks
Best Regards
 Wang Xiaopeng (王晓朋)
 IBM China System Technology Laboratory
 Tel: 86-10-82453455
 Email: wxp at cn.ibm.com
 Address: 28,ZhongGuanCun Software Park,No.8 Dong Bei Wang West Road,
Haidian District Beijing P.R.China 100193