How to configure PXE for Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization Hypervisor install

Zha Hou Dun zhahoudun at gmail.com
Thu May 13 09:21:26 UTC 2010

Hi All,

    I have setup an PXE environment for network installation of  RHEV. My
pxe server is Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5. I encountered some
problems that needs your help, thanks in advance!
1. Currently I can install RHEV from the pxe server,  but after the
installation, it can not be accessed because I don't know the password for
root, during the installation process, I have no chance to set the password,
after I select PXE boot from BIOS, the installation start automatically. How
can I set password for automatically install? I know that Kickstart config
file can be this for  Red Hat Linux,  is there way for Red Hat Enterprise
Virtualization Hypervisor?
2. Before installed the Client, I changed the boot order of the Client to
PXE -> Hard Disk in the BIOS, is there any way to automatically change or
disable network booting after the RHEV Hypervisor is installed? Or is there
some methods can be used on the pxe server side to fail the pxe boot of
Client after RHEV is installed? I know that we can just remove the
configuration file under /tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg if we know the installation
of OS has started, but I just don't know how to know if the installation of
OS has started by some automatic methods.

3. After the installation of RHEV in my client machine, I found that I can
not ssh to the client, do you know how to configure it as enabled on the pxe
server side?

This is the configure file under /tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/:

TIMEOUT 20
PROMPT 0
LABEL pxeboot
        KERNEL vmlinuz0
        APPEND  rootflags=loop initrd=initrd0.img
root=/director_appliance-rhevhb-hypervisor-0.94.1.iso rootfstype=auto ro
liveimg   check crashkernel=128M at 16M elevator=deadline
processor.max_cstate=1 linux storage_init=/dev/sda firstboot
storage_vol=50:1000:512:20:1000:40000 BOOTIF=eth0 ip=dhcp
hostname=directorapp local_boot standalone ovirt_early=director_appliance
vga=791 da_hostnet=1
ONERROR LOCALBOOT 0

I once tried add ks=nfs:9.123.99.177:/rhev/ks/ks.cfg to APPEND line, and
enable nfs, in the ks.cfg, I set rootpw, but still did not set the client's
password after the installation.

Did some one once do this before? Can you share your configuration file?