Wireless Network Card Installation

Karl Pearson karlp at ourldsfamily.com
Sun May 23 17:30:58 UTC 2010

Please don't top-post. It causes confusion for readers, plus is contrary
to list posting policy...  (now look below) klp

On Sun, May 23, 2010 8:38 am, Mike Sacauskis wrote:

> Those logs give me some information, but nothing that helps debug the
> problem.  When I run the network configuration utility from
> System->Administration->Network and try activating the connection the
> error
> ends ub being "No DHCPOFFERS RECEIVED" .  When I run the network manager
> from the upper right hand corner of the menu bar I get the following:
>
>  May 23 07:31:40 mjsLINUX NetworkManager: <info>  Activation (wlan0)
> starting
> connection 'BillyO-PC_Network'
> May 23 07:31:40 mjsLINUX NetworkManager: <info>  (wlan0): device state
> change: 3 -> 4
> May 23 07:31:40 mjsLINUX NetworkManager: <info>  Activation (wlan0) Stage
> 1
> of 5 (Device Prepare) scheduled...
> May 23 07:31:40 mjsLINUX NetworkManager: <info>  Activation (wlan0) Stage
> 1
> of 5 (Device Prepare) started...
> May 23 07:31:40 mjsLINUX NetworkManager: <info>  Activation (wlan0) Stage
> 2
> of 5 (Device Configure) scheduled...
> May 23 07:31:40 mjsLINUX NetworkManager: <info>  Activation (wlan0) Stage
> 1
> of 5 (Device Prepare) complete.
> May 23 07:31:40 mjsLINUX NetworkManager: <info>  Activation (wlan0) Stage
> 2
> of 5 (Device Configure) starting...
> (reason: 0).
>

> I googled that and there were no solutions to the problem.  Any help would
> be
> greatly appreciated

The logs tell me your WiFi Access Point isn't setup correctly for the
method being used to connect by your PC. The PC recogizes the card, and it
appears to be working properly, otherwise I think the logs wouldn't
contain the "stage N" information.

I would recommend seeing if you can connect to an Open WiFi system and
then you will know if your card is acting correctly.

Others will pipe in and correct me if I'm off-track with my help.

Good luck,

Karl

---
Karl Pearson